The Medical Mission work was started in 1881 by the Greenfield sisters from Scotland,
evangelists and educators. They and their associates organized the Health Care Educational Services in North India. In 1893, Dr. Edith Mary Brown from England joined them. In 1894, the North India School of Medicine for Christian Women was started by Dr. Edith Brown and her colleagues with the object of training Indian women to serve in the field of medical education and health care services.
The school gradually evolved to become the Women’s Medical Christian College and in 1952 became known as Christian Medical College Ludhiana, admitting both male and female students for the upgraded MBBS course affiliated with Punjab University,
Since 1953, more than 2,000 medical candidates have graduated and they now serve across India and in different parts of the world. The College is recognized by the Medical Council of India and was recently rated one of the top 10 colleges in India. Since 1999, the College is affiliated with the Baba Farid University, Faridkot.
The Christian Medical College campus is situated close to the Ludhiana railway station on Brown Road. The campus has residential quarters for the staff, and hostels for nursing, medical and paramedical students. The hospital maintains 775 beds with a large Outpatient Department and village outreach programs.
Projects funded by the Committee:
Portable incubator for newborns for the Ambulance, Motorbike & Rescue Service
Construction of new college Examination Hall
Construction of the Betty Cowan Research and Innovation Centre (BCRIC) laboratory
Computers for BCRIC
Funding for Breast Cancer Screening Outreach Project
Nursing and Medical Scholarships